Over the years, it gained in popularity not only in Russia, but throughout the rest of the Soviet Union and Europe. It is one of the traditional dishes at the New Year’s Celebration. Oivier salad became a part of any holiday feast, especially New Year and Christmas celebration. I modified the recipe and made it plant-based, which is much healthier.
by Mila Casey
- 3 golden boiled potatoes and cut in cubes
- 3 medium boiled carrots cut in cubes
- 1-2 C frozen peas steamed or rinsed with hot water
- 2 hardboiled eggs peeled and chopped (optional, use chopped black olives if vegan)
- 6 small (or 3 medium size) dill pickles diced finely
- ½ medium onion chopped
- 1/2 C olive oil mayonnaise (or any vegan type)
- ¾ C diced smoked ham (substitute for an extra cup of green peas for vegan/vegetarian)
- finely chopped dill, to garnish
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of mayo to start with and add more if you think that the salad needs more binding together.
- Cover the salad and chill for at least one hour or overnight to allow the flavors to come together, garnish with dill before serving.