While travel and relocation is all part of working in a global organization, any associated discomfort especially for families, spouses or partners can be minimized by making use of WBGFN’s Relocation Resources both, before and after arrival at the new destination. You will never be alone when you are a WBGFN member … we provide you with tips and a community to help you through the first few weeks as you settle into a new home, find schools for children, health care for families [and pets!], obtain a driving license and arrange for all the other things that will help establish your basic comfort zone once again. When you are ready to move on with life in the new country, we can also be your ‘go-to-person’ with useful information that will help you range from being a globally mobile professional to being a well informed tourist and most everything in between.
And yes … we become a second family to our members! Check us out here …
As a WBGFN member, you can reach out in our useful and supportive network, even before you move. Connecting with WBGFN can give you a head start and help you to:
- Quickly find answers to the questions you have or did not even consider
- Establish contacts already before arrival, in person during a pre-move visit, and/or via WBFN social media
Please don’t forget that our success relies on peer support and volunteer efforts. Get support when you need it; give support when you can!
The Bridge is a weekly newsletter sent to members in locations outside the US. This useful collection of good-to-know points as a WBG family is available on the News & Views page. Past editions include information on the following:
- Health Briefings
- Get the MERC Card for your location
- Time to consider changes in Medical Insurance Plan
- Counselling and referral services
- Announcements of livestreaming of events at the WBG
- WBFN Website—articles and resources on topics like professional development, relocation, globally mobile kids, navigating culture shock, volunteering, pension planning, and domestic abuse prevention. Make sure you have access to the password protected area of the website.
- WBFN Facebook Groups, Google Groups, and WhatsApp, and Telegram Groups – are location specific. WBFN members can join by invitation from the local WBFN chapter or the Worldwide team. Members share tips and advice useful in the location they live, and invitations for gatherings etc. The groups offer a virtual place for discussion and connecting over matters of mutual interest. And also advertise sale of used household items and vehicles!
- WBFN Facebook Page—shares news about what goes on in the organization, invites for events, makes announcements and ‘worldly’ curiosa, and includes news from our communities in Washington and worldwide. Remember to update your location in your Facebook account to receive the worldwide version or the Washington version of the newsfeed.
- WBFN LinkedIn Page and Group - shares career development resources, work opportunity announcements and most of all – links our members to each other, to staff, and to others for effective networking opportunities.
- WBFN Tools to Move—A tool box useful for the beginner, and for the experienced relocating family. Information is categorized so you can easily find tips and advice on very diverse topics such as planning, culture, transition, family, thinking, feeling, relationship, loss, change, future, retirement.
WBFN online workshops and seminars
We offer a range of online events tailored for members based in Country Office locations. These webinars and workshops cover topics related to family support and career development for globally mobile families. Online events are open to all members and are free of charge (unless specified otherwise). For more details and scheduled dates for the following events, please visit the Global Events page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Relocation - The Emotional Rollercoaster - A live interactive session to learn about the transition process we go through when we relocate
- Portable Careers - Learn how to pursue a professional path that matches your globally mobile life and aspirations
- Optimize your LinkedIn Profile - Gain insights from a WBG recruiter on how to optimize your presence on LinkedIn
- Boost your Job Search through LinkedIn - An informative session presented by a WBG recruiter on how to leverage LinkedIn for your job search
- Plan your Next Move - Get an overview of the resources available to WBG families and learn about practical procedures to ease the transition
- WBFN Annual Meeting - Join us online or in person to share your ideas, celebrate our achievements for the year and cast your vote for the new WBFN Executive Committee
- WBFN Champions’ Conference - A quarterly forum for Worldwide Program volunteers only to learn, collaborate and share best practices
The Global Mobility Services Portal has information about the relocation process, country specific information, a social hub, a knowledge center, and information on benefits.
In the section hosting country specific info, you get information on health, security, housing, schools, child care, household staff, transportation/driving, banking, lifestyle, culture, and spouse support and employment, including:
- WBG Relocation Guide
- Culture Guides: Mercer Passport, Culture Grams
- Fragomen Spouse Work Permit Report
The portal is located in the WBG intranet and is accessible to spouses and partners who have registered with Global Mobility. Registration procedure is found in The Bridge 2.
Emergency contact information, general information and resources, and what to do in case of domestic abuse at www.worldbankgroup.org/domesticabuse (external website; can be accessed by everybody)
Some online activities, events and educational resources at https://www.worldbank.org/en/work-with-us/hsd/home (external website; can be accessed by everybody)
For spouses/partners about short term consultancies pension, visa, and more at https://www.worldbank.org/en/about/unit/human-resources (external website; can be accessed by everybody)