while WBFN programs and activities are run by our members for our members. Our volunteers are members from around the world who dedicate their time, talents and energy to giving back. Volunteering at WBFN is not only a great opportunity to use your skills and experience for the benefit of the WBG and wider communities, but also to learn new skills, enhance your professional development, and boost your social life. WBFN volunteers work in an extraordinarily wide range of positions, from event organization and database management to branding and graphic design. Browse the descriptions of what the main WBFN teams do below and register to volunteer based on your personal and professional interests. These detailed descriptions are only to be used as a guide and can be adapted to suit the individual’s skill and time commitment.
Get Involved—Welcoming Team
'To welcome' everyone, especially newly arrived WBFN members, is one of our core objectives and the Welcoming Team is here to help make the settling-in process as comfortable as possible. Hence, the Welcoming Team is the first point of contact at WBFN to help members manage the multiple needs that arise during relocation. Volunteers on the Team reach out to support newly-arrived families in the Washington DC area [and in Country Offices wherever possible] by organizing informal, monthly information sessions and get-togethers, quarterly spouse orientation programs, weekly Members' Corner and an online support community through the WBFN Buddy Whatsapp Group.
Volunteer tasks include:
- Presenting information about what WBFN [and WBG] offers about career development, G4 visas, work permits, health care, family consultation, etc at the welcoming and spouse orientation sessions
- Interacting with Members [new and old] on Wednesdays to help with queries or difficulties that they may encounter
- Maintaining a database of newcomers along with other administrative tasks
- Reaching out to newcomers by phone, email and the WhatsApp 'Buddies' Group dedicated to them through which members can seek or exchange information around topics of common interest
- Organizing social events like Monthly Get-Togethers to visit some of Washington's attractions like museums and parks
- Promoting WBFN at WBG's New Staff orientation sessions
Browse the Welcoming Team volunteer positions